Training consists of a combination of courses which provides one with all the necessary requirements to be classified as competent.
This very practical training stretches over 3 days, covering every aspect of being a deckhand on the yachts, including: yacht maintenance knowledge and application, wash-downs, teak maintenance, deckhand duties (navigational watches and guests on board), tender driving and water sports, line handling and anchoring, to name a few
STCW Basic Safety Training
- Elementary First Aid (2 days)
- Marine Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention (3 days)
- Personal Survival Techniques (2 days)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (2 days)
Designated Security Duties Training
- 2 Day course
- Required by all crew with designated security duties on board a vessel, including Super Yachts.
RYA Powerboat Level II
Essential 2 day course for all crew aiming to increase their marketability in the yachting industry. Guests are normally ferried between the shore and the yachts which makes it beneficial for a crew member to hold a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) licence. The course covers the following content- RIB driving; man overboard recovery, close quarters handling, planning manoeuvres, collision regulations, launching, fuelling, etc. On completion of the course, students will be issued a RYA Power Boat Level II Certificate.
(EXCLUDING GBP60 CREDIT CARD PAYMENT DIRECTLY TO RYA)
An essential 1 day qualification building up to becoming an officer on board. This is a very important part of career progression, and the earlier you become comfortable and confident with VHF on-board communications, the better it is for your career.
RYA PWC (Personal Watercraft/Jet Ski)
This industry-specific license is essential for Deck crew who often take the boss or his kids on the jet skis. The license is also a prerequisite to the Personal Watercraft Instructor’s Course, which will then allow the holder to issue the guests on board with a temporary license to drive the Jet Skis for the duration of their time on board.
Duration: 1 day
Although it is not required, you can enhance your skills through a number of additional courses such as:
RYA Diesel Engine
- With the RYA Diesel Engine Course, we not only follow the RYA’s DEC syllabus, but we have also added a troubleshooting and maintenance programme for Outboard Engines. Students will have a good understanding of how diesel engines operate, impressing the Captain and Crew, as well as leading up to progression courses, such as the 5 day MCA AEC (Approved Engineering Course).
- Duration: 2 days
- For a green deck crew member, the job on the bridge will normally be limited to position fixing using the GPS, routine safety checks around the vessel and vessel tracking on a secondary radar screen during navigational watches. As with all our courses, the practical training we offer is super yacht-related and industry specific.
- Duration: 1 day