Every person should have a Pre-Sea certificate before being allowed on a vessel as crew. The Safety Familiarisation Training course teaches learners the basic skills they need before going to sea, to familiarise themselves with what can be expected. Topics like muster stations, emergencies, signs and life jackets are but a few of the things covered in this course.
As per the SAMSA matrix, the learner should have the following knowledge and practical skills at the end of the course:
- Communicate with other persons on board on elementary safety matters
- Understand safety information symbols and alarm signals
- Take appropriate action
- Identify muster and embarkation stations and the emergency escape routes
- Locate and don life jackets and life buoys
- Understand basic firefighting procedures
- Operate portable fire extinguishers
- Use fire blankets
Exit level: After successful completion of the course the trainees will be able to understand the Principals and Responsibilities of National and International Requirements of Safety Famiiarisation.
Assessment: Written assessment
Certification: Certificate of Competence